Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gastronomic Adventures

It has been so enjoyable to try out new foods with Patrick. Thus far, he's been pretty open to new foods and textures and flavors and tastes. This has made me so happy since I've had so much fun trying out new tastes myself. We have come to a screeching halt, it seems, on our journey. The one-time broccoli lover has now decided he will only eat things that are sweet or creamy or sweet and creamy, or crunchy.

Sean and I gave him his first bite of cream cheese yesterday and I swear his eyes rolled to the back of his head for a second. He must have thought he'd died and gone to heaven. Even better than cream cheese is sweetened Yo Baby yogurt. Any flavor, it doesn't matter. He especially likes the cream at the top of the package. This morning I alternated between the lentils and carrots I made last night and Sean and my oatmeal we'd made for ourselves and the yogurt. I alternated because he only wanted the yogurt. I keep thinking that he'll change his mind and love lentils, especially since I heated them up in butter. But no. Just yogurt. So, I gave him yogurt every three bites and that has seemed to work. I was thinking that I wouldn't have to break out the Deceptively Delicious cookbook for another several months. Looks like that won't be the case.

We went to the Town and Country Farmer's Market yesterday to stock up for the week and they had some awesome strawberries. They source them from somewhere in California and boy are they good. So good, in fact, that our cat Joule rubbed herself all over them between the time I brought them home and ate them after dinner. Gross. There was little white cat hair fuzz all over the top like it'd molded prematurely. Thank goodness that rinsing them off in cold water gets them bright and shiny again.

The tomatoes looked good on the outside but were a little mealy on the inside which tells me that it's not quite the season and they might have been a little old. Oh well.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kim said...

Those strawberries do look good. I wonder what Patrick will do when he eats ice cream for the first time. It's hard to believe his birthday will be in a few months.